Thursday, November 11, 2010
Essay Packet
Out of all of the essays in this packet, "Sunday" by Henry Louis Gates Jr. caught my eye the most. The way that he talk about his mothers cooking and how his family felt like the "white people" can't cook made me smile. I love to cook so I was very much sucked into this reading. " If there is a key to unlocking the culinary secrets of the Coleman family , it is a slab of fatback or cupful or bacon drippings or a couple of ham hocks and long simmering time are absolutely essential to a well-cooked vegetable." The way that he used just enough description to make my mouth water. I also really liked the part where he said, "There are plenty of Colemans: nine brothers-known as "the boys"- and four sisters, the youngest of whom had died when she was a day or two old. (There's enough niggers in your mother's family, Daddy would remark, to cast a Trazan movie.) " This caught my eye because it was littlest look into his family and you got to see how the family would joke around in such a little amount of writing. This whole piece grabbed me and I really enjoyed his writing :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
good, say more. 8/10
ReplyDelete